Glen Arden Kids Service Award
Questions and Answers
What does not count toward this award?
1. Cleaning your room or any room in your house
2. Babysitting your brother or sister
3. Working in your own yard
4. Helping your own family
5. Boy or Girl Scout meetings unless working on a service project in the meeting
Why do these things not count toward the service award?
Glen Arden Kids Service Award is given for community service. Students
may help their school, church, charities, community or other
organizations. A student may not get service hours for jobs around their
own home, as that should be a normal part of family responsibilities.
The Boy and Girl Scout weekly meetings do not count unless there is a
service project associated with the meeting.
Who keeps a record of the student’s service?
need to assist the students in keeping a record of their service hours.
These hours must be recorded on the forms available from the school or
on the school website. For each activity, a representative from the
volunteer organization must sign to verify the student’s hours. The
hours must be totaled and then highlighted at the bottom of the form.
Feel free to add more pages if necessary. Please turn these forms in to
Mrs. Hensley by April 15, 2014.
May I count service hours if I volunteered last summer?
you may count any hours from June 1, 2013 to April 15, 2014. Remember
to have someone from the agency, school, church or community sign your
form to verify that you participated in this service work.
When do these hours have to be turned in to the school?
students must turn in their service hours no later than April 15,
2014. The hours have to be reviewed by the service committee in plenty
of time before the end of the year Awards Day.
What do the students learn or gain for earning these hours?
- Compassion for others as they participate in helping those in their community.
- Feelings of accomplishment for reaching personal goals
- Recognition at Awards’ Day for their dedication and work for their school and their community.
4. A certificate from Mrs. Specht recognizing accomplishments.
What if I have more questions?
The parents may email Mrs. Hensley, school counselor, at email@example.com