2015 – 2016 Glen Arden
Chess Club will begin October 1st. We will meet every Thursday immediately after school (2:35) in Mrs. Katz’s room (room # 402). No Chess Club on Early Release days
Group lessons are divided by ability & interest level. The beginners group (generally grades K – 2) is from 2:35 to 3:15 – during this time they have their lesson & practice skills by playing games. The advanced group (generally grades 3 -4) is from 2:35 to 3:45, during this time they have their lesson & refresh skills by playing against their peers. Students can advance from beginners to advanced group during the year.
Dues are paid each semester, dues cover:
· Glen Arden Chess Club t-shirt
· Weekly chess instruction with Carl Erhman, one of Asheville’s leading players
· Club tournaments
· Trophies or medals for tournaments
Club Rules & Expectations:
The Glen Arden Chess Club supports the behavioral expectations of the school’s “R.A.M. Stars” behavior goals. Further, Chess Club members:
- Will not disturb games, including commenting on their own or other games being played. Players will demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times & will shake hands with their opponents when the game is finished.
- Will help clean up boards & pieces and straighten the room after chess club is over.
- Will bring any problems to the attention of teachers and parents.
Parents/Caregivers are asked to volunteer twice every half-year period. You need not be familiar with chess to help with club operation.
Parents/Caregivers need to be prompt in picking up children after Chess Club.
Pickup is: 3:15 for the beginners group; and
3:45 for the advanced group.